Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And that makes you an adult...

Oh, Amanda Bynes.  How I adore your humor and acting skills via What I Like About You, All That (old-school Nickelodeon), What a Girl Wants, etc.  However, this whole Maxim magazine covergirl is just not okay.

Why is this you might ask?  No, it's not the pose or choice of lingerie, it's the interview!  Yep, the interview.






When Maxim thanked you for posing in the Valentine's issue of the magazine, your response was:

"I'm honored! I had the best time on this shoot. I think every shot I did was sexy. Some people still see me as a kid, but I'm a 23-year-old woman now."
Yes, Amanda, do you understand why I'm disappointed?  Okay, in all fairness, I'm not really disappointed in you, but instead, this idea in our society that for a young actress/singer to be seen as an adult, she must pose in lingerie for a magazine and somehow this acts as their coming out party.  A debutante of sorts?  Seriously?!  What is that about?



And if it's not a professional magazine shoot, then it's an amateur, classic nude photo scandel a la:


Vanessa Hudgens


Adrienne Bailon

Ladies, let's do better.  If you want to be taken seriously as talent and as adult women once you age up, then please choose more mature roles and opportunies.  Simple as that.  If you choose your opportunities wisely, your audience will grow with you.

3 comments:

Nikki Aimee said...

Very well said.
It's very disappointing each time I see a young female try to showcase her sex appeal or womanhood by posing nude/half nude, using some language and/or feeling the need to speak publicly about their sex life as if these are the things that makes one a woman.
*smh*
They have much to learn....

CR said...

Ditto! I just don't undersand. We really need to celebrate our more positive "in the public eye" role models out there in the media to give young women something else to aspire towards. A little balance. Thanks, Nikkie Aimee!

(JIN) Love, Loss & Lacquer said...

I agree with your position...it's sad

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails